Thursday, June 20, 2019

Local Viennese :)

Our last moments in Ostrava were pretty nice. The weather was perfect...at least for me. Richard took us on an impromptu city tour which I really enjoyed. I think my most favorite part was finding the little brass  plaques on the road, representing Jews that were taken from their homes. After Auschwitz, this was a fitting end. It is so difficult to comprehend the atrocity of it all. Yet, they are memorialized with the plaques. This I really really enjoyed …. from my insides, not just the beauty of the area.













He also too us to the top of this tower to overlook the city. The breeze was nice and I always enjoy seeing so much more from above.

I was happy to be back in Vienna. Because Natalie had never been there, I was tour guide for the remainder of the time. She opted for some rest, which I gladly accepted. By the time we got into the city (we were having dinner with Elizabeth at 7pm so decided to go in early to see things) it was POURING down rain. We went into Stephansdom….partly because of the rain. I snagged an expensive umbrella and we were going to wait out the rain. Instead we found an Italian place and got appetizers to wait out the rain. They were good!

It took a LONG time to get the check then we met Elizabeth. She took us to Cafe Korb … not a touristy spot at all! We wondered Viennese style and had a great time. I love her, she is knowledgeable, kind, open minded, and can talk about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! I was happy to order in German and the waiter helped me out there too. This was such a local place that one of the most famous Roma/Gypsy musicians was there eating. His name is Harry Stojka. After dinner she took us to a local gelato place….only in cups and super local and elegant. I really enjoyed being with her and being a local for the night.

Even though it was late, and I was tired, it was nice to be able to show Natalie the city at night! I think this is one of my favorite times….although they are the same buildings, the take on a different glow in the evening, and another look in the pitch black all lit up. I love Vienna at night …. and it is so safe, it makes it that much easier to love.







Truth be told...I was happy to shower and get to bed. De registration in the morning!

1 comment: